Credit: Hannah Currie & Nicholas McCann – Goldsmiths University Students
Thanks to all for walking in solidarity – and thank you to Matthew Phillip Long for the photos.
Merseyside, Liverpool will now be hosting a Solidarity Silent Walk on the 14th of each Month, beginning in March.
The March will begin at St George’s Hall, St George’s Place, Liverpool L1 1JJ at 6pm each month.
For more details, please visit their Facebook Event Page: Merseyside Justice4Grenfell Solidarity March
If you’re interested in setting up an Silent Walk in your own hometown or City, we’d love to hear from you – [email protected]
THE FIGHT for justice for every single man, woman and child who died in the Grenfell Tower and their families and the survivors who are still languishing in hotels almost eight months after the tragic fire is now spreading across the nation.
For the first time, next Wednesday, Manchester and London will march in tandem, with a silent march in North Kensington, London, coordinated with a silent march through central Manchester.
Since the tragedy on 14 June, protesters have held monthly silent marches near the Kensington site and with each march the deep-rooted anger, at the council, the government and the Tenants Management Organisation (TMO), has increased. Every month, the numbers grow. Last month, there were thousands on the streets.
Hundreds of survivors from the tower and the immediate buildings are still languishing in temporary accommodation, despite promises to fast-track them into new homes.
The march through Manchester will include a silent candlelit procession led by 71 people – each carrying a placard bearing the photo of someone who died. This will be followed by a minute’s silence and speeches in Piccadilly Gardens.
Kevin Allsop, who has organised the event for trades union association GMATUC, said: ‘We wanted to show our support to the people of Grenfell and hope that other cities will then pick up the baton and do something similar on the anniversary of the fire, on 14 June.’
Joe Delaney, whose low-rise block is connected to the tower, will attend the march. He is still living in a hotel almost two miles away from home. According to Kensington and Chelsea Council, 248 households continue to reside in their homes on the Lancaster West Estate, of which the tower is part, while 66 households are in emergency hotel accommodation.
On the night of the fire, he left his home without any belongings – other than his two dogs – after spending hours helping to raise the alarm and evacuate neighbours.
It took four days of fighting with the local authority for him to be offered emergency accommodation – during which time he and his neighbour, who has a toddler, were forced to stay with one of his friends.
He said: ‘People have no trust in Kensington Borough Council. The police recovery teams are still working next to my flat and the council still hasn’t shown evidence that the building is fire-safe, eight months on.
‘This safety issue is bigger than Grenfell though. This is a national issue – there are blocks across the country with unsafe claddingstill on, and where it has been removed residents are freezing.
‘The protections for tenants in this country are appalling and no matter which party is in government, little seems to change. Safety should not be seen as an undue burden. How dare they!’
The event begins at 6.15pm on 14 February at the junction of Market Street and Cross Street in central Manchester while the silent march in North Kensington begins at 5.30pm outside Kensington Town Hall, Hornton St, Kensington, London W8 7NX.
Please do contact us if you’d like to host a walk or a vigil in your hometown or City on the 14th of a month. We’d love to hear from you.
The Silent Walk will be starting at a different location and time as of the 14th February 2018.
We will now meet outside of Kensington & Chelsea Town Hall, Hornton St, W8 at the earlier time of 17:30pm. We will follow the route shown on the below map.
Please feel free to join us at any point of the route that you can. We look forward to seeing you – please wrap up warm!
On the 1st February, Justice4Grenfell hosted a Public Meeting titled ‘Grenfell: How can we get justice?’
We had some great speakers, such as Emma Dent Coad MP, Brian Richardson (Stand Up To Racism), Eileen Short (Defend Council Housing), Matt Wrack (Fire Brigades Union), Clarrie Mendy (Bereaved family member & Co-founder of Humanity4Grenfell) and Kevin Courtney (National Education Union). There were over 200 people in attendance, and some important points were made from the floor by the community.
The meeting raised some key Grenfell-related issues:
- Fire Safety
- Cuts to public services
- The lack of action that’s been taken on previous recommendations after similar avoidable tragedies
- A shocking amount of properties in RBKC are sitting empty, some for years
- The painful ongoing experience and frustrations of the bereaved families, survivors & the wider community
- 98 households are still in emergency accommodation
- No arrests
Look out for dates for future meetings. The fight for justice continues…!
All photos are the copyright of Nicholas Grigorian & J4G ©
Justice4Grenfell are calling a demonstration at the Council’s last meeting of the year.
Please join us on the 6th December 2017 at RBKC Town Hall, Hornton St, London W8 7NX at 17:30pm.
It has been almost six months since the atrocity of the Grenfell Tower fire and to date there are over 100 families who are still living in hotels. Many families are sharing one bed between them, whilst children are expected to complete homework or learn to crawl on the same beds they sleep on. Theresa May said the residents would be rehoused in 3 weeks!
In a borough where there are 1652 empty homes, it is a disgrace that the council has not been able to devise a strategy that has enabled the residents of Grenfell Tower to be rehoused more quickly. This has compounded the trauma that the survivors of the fire have been through.
J4G believes that this is a continuation of the council’s disdainful attitude to its social housing residents and a perpetuation of the discriminatory housing policies which have left thousands in temporary accommodation outside of the borough.
Joe D said, “The council keep saying they can’t rehouse us quickly because there’s a shortage of social housing. Well, whose fault is that”
We will not wait in silence for the council to implement their flawed rehousing policy. Six months in hotels is too long!
We demand justice for Grenfell.
RBKC, act now and house the residents in safe and decent homes.
You can find the event page on Facebook by clicking here – Protest: House Grenfell Residents Now!!