Response to Metropolitan Police Statement issued on 10th July

J4G shares the concerns of survivors, bereaved families and the wider community regarding the latest statement from the Met Police giving numbers of fatalities, survivors and “missing” as a result of the Grenfell fire. The number of fatalities & missing are generally felt to be too low and not consistent with previously announced figures. Conversely, the number of survivors is considered by many to be too high.

“That night, 14 residents were not in the building, leaving at least 80 people dead or missing, the Met said.”

These figures do not tally with the 87 fatalities already announced by the authorities, figures that were already felt to be too low by many in the community.

The Police estimate of 350 people living in the Tower presents an average of less than 3 people living in each apartment. Survivors and residents from the local area do not accept this estimate, believing it to be way too low. It also fails to take account of the fact that it was Ramadan and therefore there would be many visitors in the Tower, breaking their fast with family and friends.

The Police estimate of 55 people missing is also being challenged by the community, who believe it to be an underestimate and not consistent with the facts. The Metro on 15th June reported that:

“Police revealed today that they have received around 400 calls reporting people missing following the Grenfell Tower fire.”

In addition, there were more than 600 calls made from the Tower on the night of the fire just to the emergency services, plus many more calls made by terrified residents to family and loved ones. The volume of calls alone suggests that many more than 350 people were in the Tower on the 14th June.

“…more than 600 emergency calls made that night ..”

The Met Police statement says that ‘there were about 255 survivors” – many in the local community are asking where are all these survivors and who are they?

It is unfortunate in the extreme that a statement issued in an attempt at transparency has only served to deepen the sense of mistrust in the authorities and heightened the widely held belief that a cover-up is underway.

Nicholas Paget-Brown resigns as Leader of RBK&C

The Justice4Grenfell campaign welcome Nicholas Paget-Brown finally doing the right thing and stepping down as Leader of the Council, something the survivors, residents and broader community have been calling for since the Grenfell Tower disaster. His Deputy, Rock Feilding-Mellen, has also stepped down according to media reports.

The Council’s total failure to respond adequately to the scale of the Grenfell Tower disaster has increased the negative impact on survivors, the terrible events they experienced were compounded by the continuing incompetence of the Council.

It remains to be seen whether other members of the Council will also step down.

Grenfell Tower probe may be too narrow for blaze survivors admits enquiry chief

The Press Association are reporting that the judge leading the public inquiry into the Grenfell Tower fire has expressed doubt that the probe will be broad enough to satisfy all survivors.

Sir Martin Moore-Bick travelled to the site of the disaster in north Kensington on Thursday morning, later meeting those who escaped the inferno.

Continue reading “Grenfell Tower probe may be too narrow for blaze survivors admits enquiry chief”

J4G’s response to appointment of Judge to lead public inquiry.

The Justice 4 Grenfell Campaign are extremely disappointed that – despite assurances from the Prime Minister – the survivors and residents have not been consulted before the appointment of Judge Sir Martin Moore-Bick to lead the Public Inquiry into the Grenfell disaster. This further compounds the survivors and residents sense of distrust in the official response to this disaster.

Continue reading “J4G’s response to appointment of Judge to lead public inquiry.”

Copy of the Letter to Prime Minister and Home Secretary on the Grenfell Tower Public Inquiry

We are the residents of the Walkways surrounding Grenfell Tower on the Lancaster West Estate, forced to live in the shadow of the Grenfell disaster.

We support the survivors and mourn the dead – they are our families, friends and neighbours, many of whom are still missing.

We want to ensure that justice is served for everyone on the estate.

We therefore demand that our voices are heard and fully included in the public enquiry.

Continue reading “Copy of the Letter to Prime Minister and Home Secretary on the Grenfell Tower Public Inquiry”

GRENFELL LEGAL SUPPORT – Seeking peace through justice and collaboration

Grenfell Legal Support are a volunteer bridging initiative, assisting those affected by the Grenfell fire by highlighting their rights and entitlements, observing the legal process, amplifying their views and ensuring they are treated with dignity and respect.

Continue reading “GRENFELL LEGAL SUPPORT – Seeking peace through justice and collaboration”

Survivors moved out of borough despite gov assurances

URGENT PRESS RELEASE 23rd JUNE

We have just been informed that survivors from the Grenfell Fire who had been housed in a hotel in the local area have been split up and sent to two different hotels outside the borough.

“The government has said they are committed to looking after residents but today I witnessed very upset survivors of the Grenfell fire again being separated and moved to new hotels out of the borough. This is a disgrace and the government must fulfil its obligations to treat these traumatised people with both respect and care.”

Pilgrim Tucker, Community Organiser working with Grenfell survivors.

Please contact Pilgrim for further information
Mobile: 07475 556686